Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Meet the Mayberry Family | A Series of Endearing Contemporary Novellas

Since last December, I've mentioned a couple of Tracy Joy Jones's novellas here on the blog. They really are delightful! And I love that she released them to her newsletter subscribers throughout the past year in celebration of the different holidays and seasons. Over the last few days, I've binged on a few in the series—so fun! While these stories are fresh in my mind, I thought I would share some quick thoughts and also let you know how you can find two of them today. :)

You can learn more about this series on Tracy's website.

How Gretchen Stole Christmas (Novella #1)

Fun and full of heart! How Gretchen Stole Christmas starts out with a young woman eager to surprise her family for Christmas...but quickly takes a surprising turn that brings an old flame into the picture. I really enjoyed reading about Gretchen's big family and seeing how she reacts to a crazy situation. The ending is perfect for a Christmas romance, and I love the way the heroine's eyes are opened.

(This review was originally posted last December.)  

Unlucky in Love & Lyrics (Novella #2)

It's been a little while since I read this one, so my thoughts aren't as fresh. But I do think this might be my favorite in the series... It had an impact on me when I read it! The premise, title, and cover are all clever and compelling, and I remember loving the story, its conclusion, and its heart. Seriously, don't miss your chance to get a copy, especially with St. Patrick's Day not so far around the corner once again. :) 

When Fireworks Fly (Novella #3)

I confess this one was probably my least favorite of the series...but don't think that means it's not a great addition! It's a little short, and you really should read How Gretchen Stole Christmas first in order for the characters' continuing journey to mean more to you. But that journey really is sweet, and even more so with plans bursting apart and joy arriving in unexpected moments. 

Must Love Pumpkins (Novella #4)

It's hard to say whether this one or the next one is  my second favorite in the series. I do so love autumn, and I could totally relate to Kayla's infatuation with the farm where she's working. I greatly enjoyed the descriptions of all the different aspects of this farm's fall business: the corn maze, the treats for sale, and pumpkins everywhere! It reminded me a bit of the pumpkin patch I used to go to with my family growing up, although the one in this novella has even more attractions, like a "haunted house" and pony rides. This is a charming little story with a few serious twists and the unfolding of a sweet friendship.

A Very Mayberry Christmas (Novella #5)

I think perhaps Unlucky in Love & Lyrics and Must Love Pumpkins could be enjoyed on their own, but this Christmas story that wraps up the year is one made most enjoyable through knowing the characters and their backgrounds beforehand. I loved getting so many different perspectives from the family as a beautiful wintry wedding takes place. A Very Mayberry Christmas throws some curveballs that leave the reader touched, surprised, and eager for more of the Mayberry family and their heartfelt love. 

*With thanks to the author for providing me (as a newsletter subscriber) a complimentary copy of each of these books. Opinions expressed in this post are my own.*

P.S. Don't forget that you can currently purchase novella #1 on Amazon and get novella #2 FREE when you subscribe to Tracy's newsletter! You'll definitely want to be subscribed so you can stay up to date on all her upcoming book news. :) 

No comments: