Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Canoeing in the Starlight

There is something profoundly moving about being in a canoe on a mountain lake beneath the stars. I was blessed to have such an experience last summer when my mom and I went with a group with Wanderlust Tours. It was so quiet, so peaceful, and so thought-provoking. Here's a description of the Starlight Canoe Tour offered by this group:

"An incredible reality about our earth is that it is rarely dark outside. Even at night in the remoteness of the Cascade Range the stars punctuate the darkness providing nice illumination, particularly on a lake surface! Join our outstanding guides for a memorable evening of paddling, gazing for shooting stars and listening to the hush of the forest."

Let's take some time this evening to go out for a starlight canoe ride. But first, I'd like to share a song with you called "Rocky Mountain High" by John Denver. The following video I found on YouTube (which we'll watch by projector at camp before we head out on the lake) includes the song and some pictures of Colorado scenery:



Tonight let's see what it's like "to try and understand the serenity of a clear blue mountain lake."

Let's discover how "the shadows from the starlight are softer than a lullaby."

And let's find out why John Denver sang, "I know he'd be a poorer man if he never saw an eagle fly."

Being out in God's creation, realizing how gentle and yet how mighty our Lord is, is a moving experience, indeed. Consider this:

"He telleth the number of the stars; he calleth them all by their names. Great is our Lord, and of great power: his understanding is infinite." ~ Psalm 147:4-5

Those are some amazing truths to contemplate as we look up at the glittering, distant, and numerous stars above!

(Picture is from the Wanderlust Tours website.)

8 comments:

Katie Marie said...

Psalm 147:4-5 is so beautiful and powerful. I love reading that chapter. To know that God knows each star by name...wow! 'Tis true that our God is of great power and infinite understanding.

Going for a starlight canoe ride was a great idea, Amber. You set the perfect mood for pondering this verse. :-)

~ Katy

Renee said...

Thanks, Amber! You brought to mind one of my favorite verses. From Romans 1: "For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse."

A starlight canoe tour does sound like an experience not to be missed!

Amber Holcomb said...

Katy,

I agree--powerful verses about an omnipotent God! :)

I'm glad you could join our canoe ride, and thank you for sharing your thoughts!

~Amber

Amber Holcomb said...

Renee Ann,

You're most welcome! :) Thank YOU for sharing that verse and for joining the tour! Definitely an awe-inspiring experience. :)

~Amber

Casey said...

What a perfect scripture! There must be something amazing about gliding along that pool of glass with the windows in heaven glistening down. :)

Amber Holcomb said...

Casey,

I think so, too, which is why I'm so thankful that I came across it the other day! :) And yes, canoeing under the stars is amazing, and you describe it beautifully! :)

~Amber

Michelle said...

Love this post, Amber! What an amazing experience to canoe under the stars!

We're so blessed to be surrounded by God's beautiful creations.

And I adore John Denver, so thank you for posting that video!! Makes me so happy every time I hear him sing. : )

Amber Holcomb said...

Michelle,

Thank you! It truly was an amazing experience, and we are blessed, indeed! :)

And I'm so glad to meet another John Denver fan here on the blog! My family and I love his music, as well--so heartfelt and stirring. :) Isn't this song just grand?

~Amber