Monday, October 24, 2011

Monday for the Military: Moving Quote

“I hold the door to the post office open for a weathered man in a wheelchair. He is gracious, thanking me. One leg is missing, and just as I notice this, I see the sticker on the back of his chair: VIETNAM VETS.

My thoughts jumble as an ache brews in my heart. I think of war and how it destroys, divides, and damages. I see the faces of those in the refugee camp and those who found their names on The List and are now in America. I want to tell this wounded soldier that I am sorry for his loss and for the abandonment he may have felt upon his return. I want to say other things, but right now I'm just honored to hold the door for him.”

~ From A Wedding Invitation by Alice J. Wisler

Click HERE to read my review of this wonderful book!

2 comments:

Kav said...

Now that gave me goosebumps. Thanks for the lovely stop and think moment this morning.

Amber Holcomb said...

Kav,

Touching and poignant, isn't it? When I read that quote I thought it would make a great "Monday for the Military" post - a short but moving thought to share! :) Glad I could share it with you, and I very highly recommend the whole book!!

~Amber