Thursday, May 13, 2010

Our Second Set of Features: Pixar Movies

We're back in front of the big screen to take a look at some of the best animated movies of all time (at least in my opinion!). Pixar has done an amazing job with their movies, and many of them not only offer great entertainment, but also a moving and inspiring story. From their website (http://www.pixar.com/), here's a list of their movies:
  • Toy Story
  • A Bug's Life
  • Toy Story 2
  • Monsters, Inc.
  • Finding Nemo
  • The Incredibles
  • Cars
  • Ratatouille
  • WALL-E
  • Up
  • Toy Story 3 (Coming soon!)

I would share my top three favorite ones with you (that I've seen so far--which is all but Toy Story 3), but I think I'll have to make it my top four favorites! (And even then it's hard to choose because they're all so good!)

Toy Story 2 is a keeper for sure! Part of the reason might be because my sister loved this movie so much when she was a little girl, and we just had to see Jessie when we went to Disneyland. She also carried around her little Woody doll at Disneyland, which was adorable! But besides that, I love this movie because it shows the importance of living in the present and enjoying every moment of time we spend with our loved ones.

This movie has a stellar cast for the voices, and it's such a classic! I love the song that Jessie sings ("When She Loved Me"), even though it's bittersweet. Overall, I just love Toy Story 2!


Finding Nemo is another favorite of mine. What beautiful animation, and what a beautiful story! With moments of hilarity and moments full of emotion, this movie really is moving. I personally love Crush and Squirt (and if you don't know who these characters are, you really must see the movie!).

I also love the lesson of learning to let go and trust those you love, as hard as that can be. Although the characters in this movie are sea creatures, this lesson is so applicable to all of us. Even though we as humans aren't perfect, worrying and holding each other back won't do anyone any good. I love when Marlin tells Dory, "I promised I wouldn't let anything happen to him," and Dory replies, "You can't let nothing ever happen to him, or else . . . nothing would ever happen to him!" (Or something like that.) This life can be full of adventure, and God can use us for good if we let Him (and if we don't hold back!).

When I first saw previews for Cars, I thought it was going to be a children's movie that wouldn't be very entertaining for teenagers and adults. Was I ever wrong! I watched this twice in theaters, and I've seen it many more times on DVD. Pixar animation always seems to get better and better! This movie, with its emphasis on community and living a simple life, is wonderful. I love the setting of a small town along Route 66! So fun!

One of my new favorites is Up. I saw this movie the night before (I believe) my 18th birthday. The main character reminds me to some extent of my own grandpa, and I love how the movie is not only focused on this older man, but it portrays him as able to be strong.

Up makes me cry every time I see it, especially the parts that have to do with the story of the main character and his wife. This is a touching movie that shows the importance of embracing the past, but then moving on and living life and loving others. It also shows how the memories we make aren't contained in the possessions we have, but rather in our hearts and how we live. This is such an excellent movie!

I would recommend any and all of the Pixar movies, and I'm hoping to see many more in the future! How about you? Any favorite Pixar movies?

(Pictures are from the Pixar website.)

4 comments:

Angie said...

Oh my gosh...I loooove Pixar movies!! :) My favorites are probably Up, Toy Story 2, and Ratatouille. You know Up had to be super good because my husband actually watched it while he fell asleep during Ratatouille (and yes we were in the movie theater). lol

Amber Holcomb said...

Angie,

Pixar movies are fantastic, aren't they? :) I love your favorites--Ratatouille was a cute one, too! I recently watched Dinner: Impossible on Food Network, and they had an episode where the chef had to cook for 600 people in 6 hours at Pixar Studios! They had the guy who did the voice of Linguini as one of his helpers. Too funny!

And that's a great story about your husband! At least he stayed awake for Up! ;)

~Amber

Angie said...

I haven't ever watched Dinner: Impossible before but I wouldn't want to have to cook for 600 people in 6 hours..yikes! I think you have mentioned you like the food network, this isn't on the food network but on TLC but have you ever seen The Cake Boss? I love that show..he makes the most amazing cakes. If you haven't ever seen it you should check it out.

My husband claims he gets the best sleep in a movie theater. I have no idea how he can sleep with it being so loud. So he will probably sleep during Toy Story 3 although when we went to see Bolt he ended up watching the whole thing and enjoying it.

Been enjoying movie week. :)

Amber Holcomb said...

Awww... Thank you so much, Angie! I'm so glad you've been enjoying Movie Week! :)

I should check out The Cake Boss sometime. I love the Food Network shows that display those amazing cakes people can make, so I'm sure I'd like this show! And wouldn't it be crazy to cook for that many people in such a short amount of time?

That is funny that your husband can sleep in the theaters! I hope he can stay awake for Toy Story 3, because it looks like such a good movie! ;) (Men may have a different opinion on that, though!)

Thanks again for your great comments!

~Amber