Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Campfire: Second Evening

I hope everyone had fun rafting today! I know I sure did. Although I have to say, I'm glad to be around a campfire now so I can dry off after that thorough soaking this afternoon. Those rapids were pretty intense!

Anyway, help yourself to some hot chocolate. There should be some filled mugs over there on that stump. (And don't worry--I didn't forget the marshmallows!)

Now, first off I'd like to say that tomorrow should be a fun and busy evening, as I'm hoping to get all of you to participate in a game I have planned! But for tonight, I think some silence might be in order.

Ecclesiastes 3:7b says, "A time to keep silence, and a time to speak." (This comes a while after the first verse of the third chapter, which says, "To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.") There are times when something needs to be said, whether that something includes words of comfort, words of encouragement, or words of gratitude. But there are also times when it is better not to say anything at all. This can be in reference to times of grief when someone just needs someone to hear them and let them cry, or it can refer to times when we need to listen to someone's voice other than our own. And how often we forget how much we need to take time to listen to the Someone who matters most--our Lord.

In all honesty, I suppose this is very hypocritical of me to be reminding all of you to do something that I myself neglect so often. But I still would like to share this message for us all. As I've been reminded of in devotionals before, Jesus set the example for us:

"And when he had sent the multitudes away, he went up into a mountain apart to pray: and when the evening was come, he was there alone." (Matthew 14:23)

I mentioned during our rafting trip that I had been to a Christian camp called Veritas. At this camp we had time set aside to spend in God's word, in prayer, and/or journaling. This time was called "TAWG"--"Time Alone With God." I'd like to suggest that we have some TAWG right now.

Take some time for silence. Take some time to listen to God. He is so patient and so good to listen to our prayers; how much more may we be willing to listen to what the Lord has to say to us!

"Keep thy foot when thou goest to the house of God, and be more ready to hear, than to give the sacrifice of fools: for they consider not that they do evil. Be not rash with thy mouth, and let not thine heart be hasty to utter any thing before God: for God is in heaven, and thou upon earth: therefore let thy words be few." (Ecclesiastes 5:1-2)

8 comments:

Project Journal said...

I feel at peace already, Amber : )

Thanks for providing that before I head to bed to do some reading. Talk to you later!
Hannah

Amber Holcomb said...

Oh, Hannah! I'm glad! :) So good to see you around the campfire again!

Have a great time reading (and eventually sleeping)! ;)

Good night and God bless!

~Amber

Ashley (Ibreath2read) said...

Amen! I LOVE my "TAWG" just listening and reading his word but, my life can get so crazy and can barely hear Him, telling me to stop my yackin', slow down and listen more.

Ecclesiastes 3 is one of my favorites and I thank you, Amber for giving me such inspirational thoughts for tonight.
Night,
Ashley

Amber Holcomb said...

Ashley,

I love Ecclesiastes 3, as well. :) And I know what you mean--TAWG is so wonderful, and yet I get so easily distracted doing other things. I need desperately to take more time to simply listen to God and let Him guide me.

I'll say the same to you as I did to Hannah: Good night and God bless! May you have pleasant dreams. :)

~Amber

Ariel Wilson said...

I hope you know, this came at the perfect time. I have a lot on my mind right now and Leanne kept telling me to pray but I kept pushing it off for one reason or another. I don't really have an excuse right now. Thank you. :)

Amber Holcomb said...

Ariel, you have absolutely no idea how glad that makes me! :) May God give you peace and guidance, and may you feel His presence.

It truly is wonderful to spend time listening to Him and reading His word!

Good night, Ariel!

~Amber

Anonymous said...

Ecclesiastes is one of my favorite books, and these nightly campfire sessions are so good for the spirit! I love this theme! Keep it up, Amber. You're providing great reminders to us all. :)

Cerella
www.cerelladsechrist.com

Amber Holcomb said...

Thanks, Cerella! The book of Ecclesiastes offers so many honest and wise thoughts; I love it, too. :)

I'm so glad you're enjoying this theme! Your visits are so encouraging to me. :)

~Amber