Friday, October 18, 2019

Discussion 3 ~ Christy Read-Along


Welcome to the third discussion of the Christy read-along! ♥ If this is the first you've heard of the read-along, you can view the schedule in this invitation post.

Today we'll be discussing chapters 12-18. If you've already read these chapters, you can share your thoughts in the comments section below or in your own post! (Feel free to use the image above, linking back to the Christy read-along tag.) If you still need to catch up on the reading, you're welcome to check in whenever you're ready. :) We're happy to have you join us whenever you can!

~ ~ ~

Christy: Chapters 12-18

Discussion format: your favorite quotes, general impressions, and three questions to answer for each week's reading

Favorite Quotes*
  • "As I came to know the children and to think of them as persons rather than names in my grade book, I forgot my reactions and began to love them. I suppose the principle was that the higher affection will always expel the lower whenever we give the higher affection sway."
  • "Teacher, Teacher, hain't it true, Teacher, that if God loves ever'body, then we'uns got to love ever'body too?" I looked at the six-year-old in astonishment. "Yes, Little Burl, it is true." Forever and forever and forever.
  • "Ye make the Almighty seem—come-at-able."
  • "Lord," I says, "I don't rightly know whether I'm gonna live or die, but it don't make no differ. From here on, my life belongs to You." And it did too, for a fact. From that day I could feel His love a-feedin' my starvin', thirstin' soul. And the more I tried givin' His love away to my young'uns and my man and the neighbor-folks, the more love He gave back to me.
  • "The minute I take my leave of this wore-out flesh, that second He'll be a-waitin' for me. Rest yer soul on that, son, like this old lady does."
  • She would interrupt her work to call the children and revel with them in the grandeur of thunderheads piling up over the mountain peaks, heat lightning flashing behind the clouds like fireworks. "It lifts the heart," she would say, and that was explanation enough for any interruption.
  • "It's today I must be livin'."

General Impressions

Oh my! These chapters have some of my favorite scenes so far. I just love all that Christy's learning from the people of the Cove, be it a child, a woman on her deathbed, or a mother with five kids. (Speaking of the latter, Fairlight and her family and their way of life are all so delightful! Their joy and love and attitude inspire me.)

It was interesting to hear Miss Alice tell the story of Dr. MacNeill's family. I enjoyed that! And it was sad to see the setback for the school with the books and maps being ruined. Granted, I think Miss Alice had a good point about Christy's pride in her "accomplishment" of securing the donations from Mr. Smith. I'm not quite sure what to think about the way Christy had approached him... She has such a big heart and a desire to take action, which are both good things! And it's hard to judge her for being materialistic when there are obviously items that would be a big help to her students (like new books). She tried to be careful in her approach, especially once the word materialistic was brought up... But it seems like Christy is still trying to find her way, figuring out what's really needed and how she can be the most help to the mission and the Cove.

But perhaps the scene that stands out most to me (although I do so love the scenes with Fairlight too!) is when Christy and David go to Aunt Polly's home. First, how lovely is it that her place is next to a waterfall? But more importantly, I find Aunt Polly's words so encouraging.

I've cried while watching the scene in the TV series, and it's stayed with me. I just love the points that Aunt Polly makes and how, even though David and Christy went to bless her, she really blesses them with her simple, solid faith, her absolute hope and lack of fear in the face of death. It's so beautiful, whether seen on the screen or read from the book. ♥ ♥ ♥

Discussion Questions

Answer any or all three of these questions in the comments section or in your own blog post!

1. Of Christy's students, which one has left the biggest impression on you so far, whether positive or negative?

2. What are your thoughts on the Sewing Circle? If you were in attendance, how might you contribute to the gathering (hosting, providing snacks, reading Scripture, sharing ideas)? How might you interact with the women of the Cove?

3. Which character's attitude and perspective has inspired you the most so far in the book?

Join us next Friday for our fourth discussion! 
(Chapters 19-25)

*Catherine Marshall, Christy (New York: Avon, 2006), 158, 167, 189, 223, 224, 226.

4 comments:

Julie said...

Didn't you just love these chapters? You and I had several of the same favorite quotes! I enjoyed reading your post. I too loved hearing about Doctor McNeill's family. I think the thing that crushed me the most was when the brand new books were destroyed. Ack! That was so sad. There were a couple funny moments that had me smiling or laughing. And I especially love that Fairlight can see the beauty in things around her when such poverty is all around. Here is my post for the week: https://myfavoritepastime.blogspot.com/2019/10/christy-by-catherine-marshall-read_18.html

Carissa said...

I've loved this selection. I'm falling in love with many of Christy's student's including Mountie, Ruby Mae and Creed. Withe the adults of the Cove
Fairlight Spencer is becoming a favorite of mine. Here's my post for the week.

https://belovedgraceful-carissasbookshelf.blogspot.com/2019/10/discussion-3-christy-read-along.html

Amber Holcomb said...

Julie,

For sure! There were so many wonderful quotes and scenes! :)

That was really sad about all the new books. :( Thank you for checking out my post; I'll come stop by yours!

~Amber

Amber Holcomb said...

Carissa,

So glad you loved these chapters too! :) Those students are so sweet and fun, and I love Fairlight's character, as well. Looking forward to checking out your post!

~Amber