Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Time Flies--Like a Hummingbird

If you've ever seen a hummingbird, you know that those little birds are fast! And they can eat from feeders or flowers without landing, constantly beating their tiny wings. Eventually, of course, they do land, but it's amazing to observe their zippy motions while in flight.

Doesn't time seem to fly like a hummingbird? You keep wondering if it's ever going to land as it continues on seemingly tirelessly. But it is beautiful in its own way, isn't it?

Recently I've been working on my graduation application for next year. Yep, I'm going to be graduating with a B.S. in English in just one year and one month!!! How is that even possible? Time's just like that hummingbird--you see it one moment, lovely and awe-inspiring, and then it's gone in a flash.

And along with working on my graduation application, I've had to plan my schedule for next school year. Now, if you are in college or have yet to go through college, let me encourage you--get your required classes done early on, because it's exciting to have so many elective opportunities saved up for your senior year! I guess I'm lucky, too, because an English major comes with a lot of elective hours. ;)

In the fall I'm planning on taking:
  • Civil War Era (History)
  • History of Modern Africa
  • Pilates/Cardio
  • Shakespeare
  • Theology of Heaven
  • Personality Theory (Psychology)
  • Independent Art Study
Should be interesting! I'm excited for all the time to come: summer vacation, senior year of college, graduation, a career...

But as I talked about in my teaching session for my "Teaching the Bible" class last Friday, we should make sure to take time to remember God's works from the past and let them encourage us to truly live now. Let's see if we can get this hummingbird to "land" for a short while and just be thankful for where we are and what God has done for us. It's something I know I certainly need to work on!

What about you? Is your "hummingbird of time" keeping you flitting from one task to another? What events are you looking forward to in the future? What events can you remember and be inspired by from the past?

Update: They canceled "Theology of Heaven," so now I think I'm taking "Women of Faith" class. Either one sounds good to me!

(Picture from Hummingbirds at Home website.)

6 comments:

Casey said...

I can't believe the changes that have happened in just one year. I look back on a year ago (especially compared to my writing from a contest I entered last year to this when I entered this year) and I have learned SO MUCH.

LIFE is passing like a hummingbird. I look back at all that has happened and I can't believe I EVER thought time was moving slow.

NOW I sit where I am each day and think...wow wonder when I'll hit the next big "moment" in life.

LOL! I guess I should just take it one day at a time, right?? It's all I've been guarenteed.

I REALLY need to email you. Hopefully this will remind me. :)

Best wishes on those classes!

Amber Holcomb said...

Casey,

I know what you mean--this year has been a big year for me, too, I think, especially finishing writing my first manuscript!

Time/life does move so fast, doesn't it? I think taking it one day at a time, as you suggest, and as much as possible, is a great idea. :)

And sure! Whatever you want/need to e-mail me about, I'm here! ;)

Thanks for stopping by!

~Amber

Renee (BlacknGoldGirlsBookSpot) said...

Oh wow it sounds like you are going through some exciting things right now! Good for you! I just love the classes that you are taking...maybe I should join you in your Pilates/Cardio class! I'm going to the beach this June and I need to lose a few pounds or buy some new bathing suits! Hahaha

Coco and I thank you for grabbing our button. ;-)

XOXO~ Renee

Amanda Stanley said...

Praise the Lord for all He has done and will do in each of our lives! Amber, you are so right, time does fly like a hummingbird – and sometimes I feel like I do too! I need to learn to just be still and remember the Lord’s goodness. I’ve found that when you focus on your past testimonies and what the Lord has done it builds and strengthens your faith for the present and is also your hope for the future. Don’t have any big plans this year but I hope by the end of it I will be exactly where the Lord wants me and not a step behind or ahead :)

I really like your list of electives! They all sound very interesting. And I’ve always wanted to take up pilates, heard it makes you taller – I should try it and see if I can make it to 5’9” LOL! ;) And, WOW, 1 year and 1 month from graduation?? So happy for you, girl!! May you see the hand of God moving mightily this next year, opening doors no man can shut and granting you all the desires of your heart as he draws you ever closer to His :)

Blessings,
Amanda

P.S. – Just sent you an email! :)

Amber Holcomb said...

Renee,

Thank you! I'm excited for the fall semester, for sure, although I definitely don't want to rush through summer break. ;) You graduated with a degree in history, right? I'm excited to have the opportunity to take some history classes! Next spring I hope to take a class on American Military History, which would be awesome!

And yes, please join me for Pilates/Cardio--we'd have a blast! ;)

Happy to spread the word about your party--yay Coco!

~Amber

Amber Holcomb said...

Amanda,

Your comments and e-mails are always such an inspiration to me. :) Thank you for your encouraging words!

And really??? Pilates is supposed to make you taller? I for sure need to take that class, then! LOL I'm only 5'1" so I think I need it more than you do... ;)

Thanks for everything, Amanda, and may the Lord bless you mightily in this coming year, as well, and guide you in His perfect plan and will. :)

~Amber