Thursday, June 17, 2010

My Review of Love is Monumental

Thank you all for being so patient! I finally finished the book, and I can now share my review with you!

Here's the description of the book from Barbour Publishing: "Discover the Washington Monument along with park ranger Vickie Harris who loves her job. But while life in the District of Columbia is exciting and fun, shy Vickie has resigned herself to the likelihood of being single forever. She’s never been head-over-heels in love. . .not even really been kissed! But when a handsome professor asks the reserved, research-loving ranger for assistance on a project, will Vickie agree? Will she come out of her shell long enough to discover that Love Is Monumental?"

My Rating: Spring

My Review:
If I don't get to go to Washington D.C. this summer, at least I'll feel like I have been there after reading this book! I really appreciated the fact that the author knew what she was writing about, and I enjoyed getting to read about the life of a park ranger. I also enjoyed the descriptions of the monuments, and even just every-day life in general. I found that I often sympathized with Vickie and her romantic heart!

I agree with my friend Renee's review in that the twists in this novel were rather predictable, but I don't think that ruins the story because the merits of the book really are it's down-to-earth dialogues and emotions. A lot of what the character's go through, and a lot of what they say, can be easily related to, in my opinion.

That being said, I confess that Thatcher didn't really win me over until the end. I was quite frustrated with him for most of the book, and sometimes I just wanted to hit him upside the head and let him know, "Yes, you're going about this relationship all wrong." But he had his "charming" moments, and perhaps that made it all more real to me, as I couldn't help but feel bad for Vickie and understand where she was coming from.

All in all, the story fit together nicely. Perhaps a bit too nicely to be completely realistic, but it was still sweet just the same. And while at times the book felt a little long, I liked this story! The trip to Washington D.C. through the pages of this book was quite enjoyable!


~Quick Reminder: Tomorrow we'll be discussing Laura Frantz' The Frontiersman's Daughter. I hope to see you all here!~

4 comments:

Project Journal said...

Holy cow, girl! 38 followers

: O

Bravo! I'm not that cool....

Sooo...what's new? Man, been busy this week. I graduate tomorrow! Heehee...sounds weird saying that.

This book sounds good, I'll have to check it out I guess : )

Okay, sorry to be brief but I'm headed out!
Hannah

Amber Holcomb said...

Hannah! You are so that cool! ;) The only reason I'm getting so many new followers right now is because Casey is doing a giveaway and she offered an extra entry to those who follow my blog! She's so sweet! :D

Congratulations on your graduation!!! I'm so happy for you! Remember--you have to tell me how it goes!

I'm going to be e-mailing you soon, so be on the lookout! (Top secret stuff, you know!) ;)

~Amber

Ashley (Ibreath2read) said...

This book looks soooo good. And thanks, Amber, for another great review. I've been wanting to read this series for awhile now and thought that this summer I'd get around to it. But, with my new job and summer school *cringe*, I barely have time to blog.:(
I hope you have a great weekend, Amber!!
Love Ya,
Ashley


P.S.
Congrats Hannah! That's so exciting that your graduating, tomorrow! Good luck, girl!;)

Amber Holcomb said...

You're welcome, Ashley! Glad you enjoyed it. :)

It sounds like you're quite busy! Hope you find some time for relaxation (and maybe reading!). You have a great weekend, too!

~Amber