Saturday, June 8, 2019

Sweet But Not Simple Historical Romance | Review of Under a Blackberry Moon



About the Book
(from Revell)

Which wilderness is more treacherous--the one she must cross to find her home . . . or the one she must traverse to find love? 

Just a few days after she gave birth alone in the northwoods, a recently widowed young Chippewa woman stumbled into a nearby lumber camp in search of refuge from the winter snows. Come summer, it is clear that Moon Song cannot stay among the rough-and-tumble world of white lumbermen, and so the camp owner sends Skypilot, his most trusted friend, to accompany her on the long and treacherous journey back to her people.

But when tragedy strikes off the shore of Lake Superior, Moon Song and Skypilot must depend on each other for survival. With every step they take into the forbidding woods, they are drawn closer together, until it seems the unanswerable questions must be asked. Can she leave her culture to enter his? Can he leave his world to enter hers? Or will they simply walk away from a love that seems too complicated to last?

Get swept into a wild realm where beauty masks danger and only the truly courageous survive in a story that will grip your heart and your imagination.

Available Now!

My Rating

Spring

My Review

I confess this is one of the books that sat unread on my shelf for far too long. Part of me wonders if maybe I would have enjoyed it a little more if I had read it closer to the time I read the other two books in the series years ago... Perhaps a stronger memory of the characters and some of the backstory would have been nice.

Still, I found Under a Blackberry Moon to be an interesting read with a sweet (but not simple) romance! Based on the description of the book, I think I had a somewhat different idea of the main course of the plot compared to what actually happens. I wasn't expecting a secondary character to have a primary role through the first half of the book, and some of the scenes with that secondary character create an odd mood.

But I appreciate the various twists and how even when the plot changes direction, love and survival still play key roles in different ways. I also appreciate the history and what led the author to include certain elements in the story (as revealed in the author's note at the end). I like how the characters are forced to make difficult decisions about what's practical, what's important, and what's worth the sacrifice.

I feel like the story isn't quite as cohesive as I might wish... Different historical and relational elements take center stage at times, so the plot feels a little scattered in focus. But then again, real life can feel that way! While I didn't feel super emotionally invested in the characters and their choices, I still found myself intrigued by the story and eager to know how it would all unfold. It's a compelling journey!

*With thanks to Revell for providing me with a complimentary copy of this book, which I won through a giveaway. Opinions expressed in this review are my own.*

Want More?

Check out my reviews of other Serena B. Miller books:

The Measure of Katie Calloway | A Promise to Love
Love Finds You in Sugarcreek, Ohio | An Uncommon Grace

2 comments:

Patty said...

The Measure of Katie Galloway sat in my shelf for the longest time before I finally took it in vacation last year and read it. Seeing this review makes me want to get my hands on the other books in the series!

Amber Holcomb said...

Patty,

Aw, I'm so glad you got to read The Measure of Katie Calloway! That was a great book. And I'm happy this review makes you interested in the rest of the series! I so hope you enjoy the other books if you give them a try. :)

~Amber