Monday, October 29, 2018

How Can I Help Others Feel Noticed and Included? | Thoughts Inspired by Tiffany Girl



I recently finished Tiffany Girl by Deeanne Gist, and I loved it! The romance aspect definitely gets a bit heavy at times, and there's an agenda throughout the story, but I loved it just the same. :) I really enjoyed the historical detail, the unique premise, the creativity, the sweetness of the romance, and Flossie's fascinating journey as a new career girl living on her own for the first time. It's simply engaging and enjoyable historical fiction!

One of the things that stood out to me the most was Flossie's friendliness and her desire to make her fellow boarders feel like family. Granted, she learns some hard lessons as the story progresses, and not everyone is truly how she imagines them to be, but I so admire the clever and heartfelt ways she tries to get everyone together.

For example, Flossie makes hand-painted cards with a question on each to put underneath everyone's plates at the dinner table. Each person then has to direct the question to the person across from them. This facilitates interesting conversation, helps people get to know one another better, and turns what used to be a quiet, somber affair into a fun (or at least more informative!) meal.

This got me to wondering...

How can we help others feel noticed and included? 

I'd love to hear if you have tried some creative ideas (or perhaps found one in a book) for making parties, meals, or even a quiet evening special for the people around you!

P.S. You can learn more about this novel on Deeanne Gist's website.

2 comments:

Brittaney said...

I love this book and just recently re-read it. I too really appreciated Flossie's efforts to befriend her fellow boarders. I think the best thing we can do these days to draw people out is to be present in the moment, to listen attentively and respond with thoughtful questions.

Amber Holcomb said...

Brittaney,

Delighted to hear you loved this book and Flossie's character too! This is definitely a reread-worthy story. :)

Love the thoughts you shared, as well! Listening attentively is so crucial, isn't it? It's something I need to make an effort to do, not just with acquaintances and friends, but with my own husband and family. It's too easy to browse social media and the internet while trying to hold a conversation, but it's painfully obvious when you're not being present or truly listening to what someone is saying. Such a good reminder!

Thank you for stopping by and sharing! I'm so glad you did. :)

~Amber