Monday, October 4, 2010

Of Lost Crowns and Missing Mondays

This week is going to be rather hectic for me! I apologize in advance if I'm not around as much. This past weekend was quite unproductive for me in terms of schoolwork, so the next few days will be filled with homework, especially since I want to be free this next weekend to spend time with my parents who are coming up to visit me! =)

That being said, I simply had to share a fun story with you from my experience at Awana last night! As I've said before, I'm working with the "Sparks" (Kindergarten through second grade) age group at the Awana club at a local church. Last night the game time took place outside . . . in the dark! The kids had a lot of fun running around and playing dodge ball and such.

Once we came back inside, one of the girls in my group told me that she had lost her "crown" pin, which is a pin shaped like a crown that holds the jewels she had earned for saying memory verses and completing parts of her workbook(s) in the past. She said she had lost it outside. So I told her I would go look for it. In the dark.

A couple of the other leaders who help with game time were still outside, so I told them what I was looking for. One of them let me borrow his phone (or iPhone or whatever it was!) that had a rather bright light. So I searched for the pin, shining the light around the places they had been playing. No luck.

I gave the phone back and expressed my disappointment. It wasn't the worst thing that could happen, and it probably could be replaced. But it still was sad that we couldn't find it. As soon as I gave the phone back, I headed for the side door so I could go back inside. Just then I kicked something in the grass with my foot as I was walking. I bent down, saw the bronze pin with its jewels in the light of the open door, and proclaimed that I had found it! The lost crown was lost no more!

I don't think the girl was quite as excited as I was about the story, but it certainly put a smile on my face. =)

Anyway, as for the "Missing Mondays" part of the title of this post, I just wanted to address the fact that I have missed yet another "Mondays for the Military." I suppose I could have written something about the military today, but I'm still rather eager to start profiling different military men and women whom we can encourage and thank. So this feature is simply on hold until I get the first interview back (which should hopefully happen before next Monday!). Thank you for your patience!

Well, I hope you all have a wonderful week, and I'll probably still be posting/commenting off and on when I can! Talk to you soon!

4 comments:

Julia M. Reffner said...

I love K-2 age level. I'm glad you are having fun with them. That's a cute story.

I wouldn't worry about missing a feature. You always have something exceptional up and we are more than happy to wait to see what you have next :)

Good luck with the schoolwork! I'm so glad for you that your parents are coming! Do you have any special plans? I'm sure its fun to take them to "favorite" spots near campus.

Amber Holcomb said...

Julia,

Aren't they fun and adorable? ;) The story was just a little happening that excited me, but I thought I would share it with ya'll since it was kind of fun!

Thank you for your understanding about "Mondays for the Military." I actually got the interview back this afternoon, so the feature should hopefully be up and running once again next Monday!

Also, thank you for the well-wishes and for sharing my anticipation! My parents and I are planning on going to a harvest festival, and I'll probably stay at the hotel with them for the weekend. :) And I'm sure we'll go shopping (no sales tax in Oregon!), go out to eat, and all that jazz. I'm really looking forward to simply seeing them and talking to them face to face again! I miss my family, so I'm so excited to have this opportunity!

~Amber

Julia M. Reffner said...

Sounds like lots of fun! I hope you have a great weekend and it refreshes you :).

Amber Holcomb said...

Julia,

Thank you! I really could use a refreshing weekend, so I'm looking forward to it. :) Hope you have a great week/weekend, as well!

~Amber