Saturday, February 8, 2014

Two Months of DOOM

The sweet Amanda of The Ramblings of a Wayward Author is hosting her own NaNoWriMo-ish writing challenge in the months of March and April, simply known as DOOM...


DOOM stands for "Definitely O-normous O-uthor Months" or whatever you want it to be. ;) Some of my suggestions were: "Determination Overcomes Our Muddling," "Dedication Overcomes Our Mess," "Determined O-thers in Our Midst," "Determination On Our Minds," "Determination Overcomes Obstacles Mightily." Figuring out the acronym is rather fun! LOL. I'm kind of partial to the first one, so I think I'll treat it as "Determination Overcomes Our Muddling." I'll try to see the challenge as getting words on the paper, even if I'm just muddling through. 

Anyway, here are the rules of the challenge:
  • Who: Hosted by The Ramblings of a Wayward Author
  • What: A challenge to write 50,000 words in 2 months
  • When: March - April 2014
  • Where: There's a Facebook group, but since I'm not on Facebook, I'm going to mostly be tweeting and blogging. I think I'll use the hashtag #MonthsofDOOM - and of course I hope to meet up with other writers for #1k1hrs!
  • Why: To get words on paper and complete a novel!
The challenge rules aren't strict - the point is just to motivate yourself to write. I was considering joining Speedbo (over at Seekerville) again this year, which is what helped me to finish Bleeding Heart. (This time last year I still wasn't done writing the first draft of BH! That's so strange...) And I totally recommend that challenge to anyone looking to finish whatever project they're working on in March! But when I discovered that Amanda was hosting a 2-month challenge starting in March, it seemed like a perfect fit. I think this would be much more doable over two months, especially since I've got editing & publicity projects and other stuff going on. So hopefully by the end of April I'll have the first draft of Morning Glory done! That's my goal. :)

http://storytoolz.com/meter/stats/1960

You can follow my writing progress via the StoryToolz widget in the sidebar of my series blog. And if you'd like to join me, Amanda, and a group of other writers for 2 months of DOOM, be sure to check out the lowdown on Amanda's blog and let her know you're signing up!

2 comments:

hannah1318 said...

You can do it Amber! I remember when you were doing this challenge for BH and FMN way back in college... ;) I'm looking forward to enjoying Morning Glory when it's completed.

Amber Holcomb said...

Hannah,

Aww, thank you for the vote of confidence and encouragement! Ah yes...those crazy college days. ;) Even though it wasn't this exact challenge, I guess I did get some writing done back then, haha! I'm so glad you're looking forward to reading Morning Glory - I can't wait to write it and share it with you! *Hugs*

~Amber