Saturday, December 14, 2013

Reading Cram Read-a-thon Day 6: Seasonal Challenge



Well, it's Day 6 of the #ReadingCram Read-a-thon - hard to believe! I've only completed 2 books so far (my reviews: Barefoot Summer and Elusive Hope), but I've started a third and will keep chugging along.

While I haven't participated in all of the challenges, you can find some of my responses on Twitter, and I'll keep posting a few here, as well. Today's challenge is a seasonal one, and you know I can't miss that! ;) The goal is to share four book recommendations from books read in 2013:

Recommend a Book for a Snow Day

The Ryn by Serena Chase

The book begins in winter and involves a heart-warming, colorful fairytale perfect for a snowy day curled up by the fire. (For those of you who actually get much snow, of course!) You can read my full review HERE.

Recommend a Book for a Rainy Day

 Mistaken by Karen Barnett

What's better for a rainy day than a historical romantic suspense set in the Pacific Northwest? (Lots and lots of rain in this part of the country.) You can read my full review HERE. And another book I can recommend that's in a similar vein and setting (albeit contemporary) is Love's Refuge by one of my editing/publicity clients, Sandra Leesmith. 

Recommend a Book for a Beach Day

Songstone by Lena Goldfinch

My favorite of Lena's books so far, and one I had the pleasure of editing and promoting this past summer! This is a fantasy romance set on a fictional island in the Pacific, complete with descriptive beach and jungle scenes.

Recommend a Book for a Spooky Night

Recalled by Cambria Hebert

This book is for sure one of my faves of 2013. While it's not chills-running-up-your-spine spooky, it does involve G.R. (the Grim Reaper) and a mission to send someone to their death. So...yeah! (It's surprisingly touching and sweet, though, and I absolutely loved the story! Note that there is a bit of language.) You can read more of my thoughts on the book HERE. I can also recommend Paranormalcy (a fun paranormal read) and The Memory Game (a tragic but intriguing ghost story, albeit with some more language).

What would be your seasonal recommendations from 2013?

8 comments:

Melanie said...

I loved Mistaken and plan on reading The Ryn someday. :)

My list ~ http://www.christianbookshelfreviews.blogspot.com/2013/12/readingcram-read-thon-day-six-challenge.html

Amber Holcomb said...

Melanie,

Isn't Mistaken great historical fiction? :) So good! And I hope you enjoy The Ryn whenever you read it. Serena's a talented author!

Thanks for sharing your link! I left a comment. :)

~Amber

Serena Chase said...

Thanks so much for including The Ryn!!!

Tales of Whimsy said...

Ooo Mistaken looks good.

Amber Holcomb said...

Serena,

My pleasure! It's a fabulous read for any time of the year. :)

~Amber

Amber Holcomb said...

Juju,

It is!! Historical romantic suspense set during the Prohibition era. :) I loved it!

~Amber

Karen Barnett said...

Thanks so much, Amber! I'm delighted to see Mistaken on your list!

Amber Holcomb said...

Karen,

Happy to include Mistaken - a fabulous book! Thank you for writing it! :)

~Amber