Monday, November 22, 2010

Thankful for the Military: The Christmas Card

Here's a description of the movie from Amazon.com:

Once in a while, a movie comes along that reminds us how powerful love can be. In the midst of war in Afghanistan, Captain Cody Cullen (John Newton, "Desperate Housewives") is touched by lovely card sent by Faith Spelman (Alice Evans, "The Chris Isaak Show") from the small picturesque town of Nevada City, California. As months pass, the card never leaves his side, giving him the strength to survive and setting him on a mission to find her. The Christmas Card has received massive critical acclaim and audiences are raving. Now for the first time on DVD, Emmy-nominated (TBD) The Christmas Card is available with great bonus features and is the perfect gift for this holiday season!

My Review:

What a sweet, inspiring movie! I can't imagine how hard it must be for those military men and women who have been deployed and are far from loved ones, especially those who have no one to write to them and support them. This movie shows how powerful words of kindness and encouragement can be.

This is a great Christmas story with a lovely setting (small town and lumber mill) and a touching romance. I just love Faith's family, and they made me laugh frequently! Their family dynamics remind me a little of the family in the movie Return to Me (which I also highly recommend). Very, very cute, and a great reminder of the preciousness of family and reaching out to others.

While some parts were perhaps a bit corny and overdone, overall I really enjoyed the movie, and after watching the ending, I was more than happy! The plot contains some of the traditional Christmas-movie elements, but it was also unique enough to hold my interest. For those who love Christmas movies and gentle romance, you'll love The Christmas Card!

Note: I know it's not even Thanksgiving yet, but I was eager to share this review with you! As soon as Thanksgiving is over, it will be time to pull out all of these Christmas movies again anyway, right? I just love the holiday season!

Since this is Thanksgiving week, though, I also wanted to add how very thankful I am for the U.S. military. Thank you to all those who serve our country and defend our freedom!

6 comments:

Project Journal said...

We saw this movie at Walmart last year. It sounds fabulous and your review was great too!! Maybe this year we'll have to try and scrounge up the money to buy it so we can see it ; )
Hannah

Amber Holcomb said...

Hannah,

That's funny--that's where I got it this weekend, at Walmart! :D I'm really glad I did; it's such a sweet movie! Like I said in the review, it is a little bit "overdone," so to speak, in some points, but it's a great movie. Hope you get a chance to see it!

Glad you liked the review! :)

~Amber

Kav said...

I saw this movie last year on television. One of the major US networks aired it so keep an eye out this holiday season. I be they'll play it again. I enjoyed it -- corny bits and all -- I love schmaltz during the holidays! :-)

Amber Holcomb said...

Kav,

Thanks for letting us know about that! Glad you got to see it and that you enjoyed it! :) A little bit of corny does indeed have it's place during the holidays... ;)

~Amber

May the K9 Spy (and KC Frantzen) said...

I also saw it on TV - I think Hallmark Channel... Mom and I watched together and thoroughly enjoyed. As everyone said, sometimes a bit - well - whatever - but we LIKE that sort of thing if a movie needs to lean one way or another!

Amber Holcomb said...

KC,

Gotta love those Hallmark-type movies! ;) I'm glad you enjoyed the movie, as well!

~Amber