Friday, March 23, 2018

Green Gables Read-Along | Discussion 2


Woohoo, it's Friday and the start of the weekend! Today's discussion (technically, yesterday's) for the Anne of Green Gables read-along covers chapters 14-26. The main discussion is happening at Kami's blog, Kami's Library Thoughts. You can hop over there to leave a comment! Of course, you're totally welcome to comment here, as well. :)

Here are Kami's great questions and my responses:

1. Anne has a gift for loving nature in all its forms. She even gives it delightful names. Do you find yourself appreciating nature more as you read this?

My Thoughts: I adore the way nature is described in this book! The White Way of Delight, the wooded paths in all their seasons, the way Anne puts flowers in her hat or her new teacher sends the boys up into trees to look for nests... Everything feels so vibrant and gorgeous in how L.M. Montgomery wrote it. I think it does make me appreciate nature more—or at least want to do so!

2. We have finally met Gilbert! What do you think of him? Do you think Anne is justified in hating him so much?

My Thoughts: I think Gilbert's infatuation with Anne is adorable, and I like that he's competitive, but good-natured about it. He's smart, and he seems genuinely contrite when he realizes how angry he's made Anne. I'm hoping to see more of him in the book, though. ;) Right now he's sort of a hovering presence, affecting Anne without her willing to acknowledge him. I don't think Anne's attitude toward him is justified. It may be understandable, knowing how sensitive Anne can be, but her cold shoulder feels unforgiving and over the top.

3. Anne's imagination finally got the better of her in the Haunted Wood. Do you think she learned anything from that experience? Do you think she'll tone down her imagination a bit?

My Thoughts: Based on Anne's reaction after being forced to walk through the Haunted Wood at night and her conversation with the reverend's wife (I believe?), it really does seem like she understands she went too far. But I don't know if her imagination will be toned down...maybe just redirected for now. ;) Although I'm sure as she continues to grow up and have real-world experiences, she'll find (and maybe already is finding) that life is worth experiencing in its own glory.

4. What do you think of Diana and the other schoolgirls? Do you think Anne chose wisely for her bosom friend?

My Thoughts: They're quite a group! :) It's fun to read about their schoolgirl antics and dramas. Diana seems like a very loyal and loving friend, and I think she and Anne suit each other well. I like that Diana appreciates Anne for who she is, while also not being afraid to point out when she thinks Anne is going too far (like the situation with Gilbert, even if Anne doesn't necessarily listen).

5. I've always dreamed of visiting Prince Edward Island someday. Do you want to visit there also? What other real-life literature places do you want to visit?

My Thoughts: Definitely! I grew up watching The Road to Avonlea series and the Anne of Green Gables movies with my grandparents and uncle, and visiting Prince Edward Island would be a dream come true, for sure. :) I can't decide if I'd rather visit in the fall or the spring... I bet both would be delightful! As for other real-life literature places...that's a great question! I'm not really sure. Perhaps some places in Europe? (Not very specific, I know!)

* * *

It's so sweet to see Anne finding her place at Green Gables and among her new friends and family. It's also fun to spot the similarities and differences between the book and the movie (starring Megan Follows). I confess I really liked the movie's subtle changes to the scenes with Matthew getting Anne a dress with puffed sleeves. :) If you've seen the movie, are there scenes you like better in the film adaptation versus the book?

Finally, here are some of my favorite quotes from the last section of reading...
  • "It was a little narrow, twisting path, winding down over a long hill straight through Mr Bell's woods, where the light came down sifted through so many emerald screens that it was as flawless as the heart of a diamond."
  • "I'm so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers."
  • "Ruby Gillis says when she grows up she's going to have ever so many beaux on the string and have them all crazy about her; but I think that would be too exciting. I'd rather have just one in his right mind."
  • "'When I am grown up,' said Anne decidedly, 'I'm always going to talk to little girls as if they were, too, and I'll never laugh when they use big words.'"
  • "There was a magnificent sunset, and the snowy hills and deep blue water of the St Lawrence Gulf seemed to rim in the splendour like a huge bowl of pearl and sapphire brimmed with wine and fire."
  • "I never knew before that religion was such a cheerful thing. I always thought it was kind of melancholy, but Mrs Allan's isn't, and I'd like to be a Christian if I could be one like her."
  • "Isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?"
  • "'The trouble with you, Anne, is that you're thinking too much about yourself. You should just think of Mrs Allan and what would be nicest and most agreeable for her,' said Marilla, hitting for once in her life on a very sound and pithy piece of advice. Anne instantly realized this."

10 comments:

Suey said...

Man the quotes! I swear this whole book could be quoted! Fun to read your thoughts. We need to read the second book for more Gilbert. Are you with us??? :)

lissa said...

I think anne held her gruges against gilbert far too and in the later chapters, she regrets that. but I suppose if she forgive him right away, the book would be different, well, maybe.

I do like movie with megan follows, and the little subtle changes. the scene with matthew and anne at the station, that's wonderful. I would have to rewatch the movie to see the changes but I don't remember them.

have a lovely day.

Amber Holcomb said...

Suey,

Seriously, so many wonderful quotes! ♥ Thank you for checking out my thoughts. :) And that's awesome you guys might read the next book! I don't think I currently have a copy of Anne of Avonlea...although I do have Anne of the Island, which I'm hoping to read sometime soon-ish! Would love to read more about Gilbert!! ;)

~Amber

Amber Holcomb said...

Lissa,

That's a good point; it would be a very different story if Anne didn't hold things against Gilbert for so long! ;)

So glad you're also a fan of the movie with Megan Follows. Such great acting! Hope you have a lovely day too, and thank you for leaving a comment!

~Amber

Kara said...

That quote where Anne talks about how she's going to talk to little girls once she's grown up just got me in the feels when I read it. I highlighted it as well, but didn't share it in my post. (I had so many highlighted quotes from this section that I had to narrow it down somehow! :) But the moment I read it, my heart broke for Anne. I don't know if she even realizes how much of her heart she gives away by the things she says. Clearly, even if she's never said anything to anybody face to face, the way adults do tend to laugh at her big words and way of speaking must hurt her. And she never accuses anyone either. She simply decides that she's going to do differently once she's grown up. Simultaneously sweet yet heartbreaking!

It may be understandable, knowing how sensitive Anne can be, but her cold shoulder feels unforgiving and over the top. You worded that perfectly! I agree.

And also what you point out about Diana! I liked how you said that she's not afraid to let Anne know when she's going too far. I hadn't thought about that, but so true! She may not be as bold as Anne is, but she's not afraid to say something when it needs said either. She's just more gentler with it.

Loved your answers, friend! :)

Amber Holcomb said...

Kara,

Aww, I love your thoughts on that quote! So true, how sweet it is that she simply chooses to do things differently when she's older based on her own experiences. :) But also so sad that she's felt looked down upon in that way!

Thank you for your kind words about my answers! :D This has been a lovely read-along! I just finished the book today, and I'm looking forward to the last discussion. :)

~Amber

Kami said...

I like how said Anne was redirecting her imagination. I think that is spot on! Yes, Gilbert is so adorable. I like how Diana and Anne compliment each other as well.

Amber Holcomb said...

Kami,

Thank you! Loved your questions, and I appreciate you stopping by! :)

~Amber

Jenni Elyse said...

I'm sorry I didn't comment on this one until now. I watched The Road to Avonlea series too. It was so fun and I loved it so much. Great answers to all the questions. :)

Amber Holcomb said...

Jenni,

No need to apologize! So fun to hear you're a fan of The Road to Avonlea too. :) Such a sweet series! Thank you for taking the time to stop by and comment!

~Amber