Friday, January 5, 2018

Enjoying the Journey and Growth | Review of Shades of Doon (YA Fantasy)



About the Book (from the Doon website)

After cheating death, Veronica Welling is determined to savor every moment in her idyllic kingdom with both her true love and best friend by her side at last. At the same time, Mackenna Reid is enthusiastically building her new life and a theater with her prince. But just as their dreams of happiness are within reach, the world Vee and Kenna have chosen is ripped away, leaving them to face their most horrific challenge yet—their old lives.

Thrust out of Doon, the best friends are confronted with tormentors from their past and no way to return to their adopted land. When the MacCrae brothers rush to their rescue, the girls’ situation turns from nightmare to modern-day fairy tale. But their happiness could be short lived: unbeknownst to them, someone in their closest circle is aiding the witch of Doon in her bid to destroy the kingdom once and for all.

Available Now!

My Rating

Spring/Summer

My Review

The Doon series is endearing itself to me more and more. Shades of Doon is a great read, full of drama and uncertainty and opportunities for the main characters to grow. I love how the two heroines are obviously maturing as they see the bigger picture: what's really important and what it might cost to choose the right path.

The faith element, while still somewhat subtle in parts, is becoming stronger as the series continues. This particular story inspires courageous living, tackles the weighty topics of sacrifice and humility, and provides plenty of adventure and danger (particularly with the cliffhanger ending).

As for the relationships and romance...I found myself intrigued by the dilemmas facing the couples, and I'm enjoying their journeys. Their interactions are full of passionate care and hope. I'm eager to see where the next challenges take them!

You'll definitely want to read the first two books in the series before diving into this one. And once you're finished, you'll be beyond ready for the final book in the series, Forever Doon. I know I am!

Read my review of Book 1: Doon

No comments: