Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The Booker Award

Huge thanks to Faye (labor not in vain), Cathy (Thoughts on Books), and Carissa (Carissa's bookshelf) for passing The Booker Award on to me!


Ah, yes - I think I do spent quite a bit of time in fictional worlds, LOL!

Here are the rules for this award: 

"1. This award is for book bloggers only. To receive this award the blogger's blog must be 50% about books (this includes writing blogs or reader blogs).

2. When you accept this award you must also share what your top five all time favorite books are. Going over five is encouraged.

3. You must pass this award on to five to ten other book blogs that you adore :)"

Now, I have a really hard time narrowing down my favorites when it comes to books... There are so many books that have moved me or inspired me or swept me away! But here are some of the books that I've marked as "Favorites" on Shelfari:
  • A Tailor-Made Bride by Karen Witemeyer
  • Short-Straw Bride by Karen Witemeyer
  • Courting Morrow Little by Laura Frantz
  • The Redemption by MaryLu Tyndall
  • Surrender the Night by MaryLu Tyndall
  • Yesterday's Tomorrow by Catherine West
  • Undercurrent by Michelle Griep
  • Chateau of Echoes by Siri Mitchell
  • The Messenger by Siri Mitchell
  • There You'll Find Me by Jenny B. Jones
  • The Rose of Winslow Street by Elizabeth Camden
  • Promise Me This by Cathy Gohlke 
  • The Maid of Fairbourne Hall by Julie Klassen
  • Love in Disguise by Carol Cox
  • The "Phantom Island" series by Krissi Dallas (Windchaser, Windfall, and Watercrossing - with more to come!!)
Some other Christian fiction favorites:
  • Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers
  • Snow Angel by Jamie Carie
  • A Passion Most Pure by Julie Lessman
And some favorites from books I had to read for college classes (class underlined in parentheses):
  • Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen (17th-19th Century British Literature)
  • Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte (19th-20th Century British Literature)
  • Dracula by Bram Stoker (19th-20th Century British Literature)
  • The Ghostway by Tony Hillerman (Literature of the American West)
  • Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (19th Century American Literature)
  • Into Africa by Martin Dugard (History of Modern Africa)
  • Cavalier in Buckskin by Robert Utley (American Military History I)
  • The Gospel of Ruth by Carolyn Custis James (Ruth & Esther)
Like I said before, there are so many books that have blessed me or challenged me. As a college graduate with a degree in English, I'm sure you can imagine that I am very grateful for books!

I'm passing this award on to:
 What are some of your favorite books?

8 comments:

Michelle said...

That's an awesome list there, Amber! Some of my favorites are:

Everthing by Laura Frantz and Julie Lessman.
The Rose Legacy series by Kristen Heitzmann (one of the first series I read when I started reading Christian fiction -- amazing!! I would definitely re-read these!)
Beneath a Southern Sky by Deborah Raney
Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers
The Inheritance by Tamera Alexander

So many awesome books out there! :)

Michelle said...

The series by Kristen Heitzmann is actually the Diamond of the Rockies series. The first book in the series is called The Rose Legacy. The second book is Sweet Boundless, and the third is The Tender Vine. :)

Amber Holcomb said...

Michelle,

Thank you! :) And thank you for sharing some of your favorites, as well!

I went on a bit of a Kindle-book-shopping-spree last night, and I ended up buying The Rose Legacy. :) I appreciate the recommendation! And I also bought By the Light of the Silvery Moon - I've been interested in reading it, and your glowing review helped convince me that it's worth the price. :)

~Amber

Michelle said...

You're welcome, Amber!

I hope you enjoy the books as much as I did! : )

Bluerose said...

Awww...thank you for passing it on to me! :)

The ones on your list that I have read are on my favorites list, too. Most of the others I want to read, though.

Amber Holcomb said...

Bluerose,

You're welcome! :) There are some fabulous books out there! I hope you get to read the rest of the books on this list, then - I really enjoyed them. :)

~Amber

Rissi said...

CONGRATS on the award, Amber. :-)

Amber Holcomb said...

Rissi,

Aww, thank you! :)

~Amber