Monday, November 1, 2010

November

Welcome, November! I am so thankful for a new month, a new opportunity to begin again. And yet, I so often set aside the fact that I don't need a new month or a new year to begin again--each day, each moment is precious, and through God's grace and help we can be refreshed and find new beginnings all the time.

If I mess up or use my time poorly sometime during a day, I tend to just continue the rest of the day in a similar fashion. I figure that if I've already wasted part of my day, I might as well just continue to goof off. I don't know if any of you have a similar problem, but I am sad to see how often I think like this. For example, I tend to think that if I already procrastinated on homework so far, I might as well make the whole day a procrastinating day, instead of trying harder to change the day around.

It's not that we don't need times of relaxation. In fact, it can be so easy to get too busy for periods of rest and times of renewal, which I think are really important. But I think that I need to spend the time I have for true relaxation praying to the Lord and reading my Bible, and even writing and reading, rather than getting distracted online (etc.). I never feel refreshed when I've spent my time foolishly. There is a difference between finding rest and dwelling in a mess.

May we spend the time we are given wisely, living for God. And may we remember all the mercies we are shown by God each and every day:

"This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not, they are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness."
~Lamentations 3:21-23

6 comments:

Renee Ann said...

I'm going to remember that saying, "There's a difference between finding rest and dwelling in a mess." How true! Blessings on your week!

Amber Holcomb said...

Renee Ann,

I hope it was helpful to you! I was searching for the right phrase to end that sentence with, so I hope it made sense while still being catchy. ;)

May you have a blessed week, as well!

~Amber

Laura Frantz said...

Oh Amber, So true! To help with that little bit of relaxation you speak of, I'd love to send you that book you've been wanting:) If you still haven't read TMB, please send me your addy at laurafrantz61@yahoo.com and I'll get that in the mail to you, sweet friend:)

Amber Holcomb said...

Laura,

That is so generous and thoughtful! Yes, I would love to read it! :D I just sent you an e-mail. Thank you for being such a caring friend!

~Amber

Amanda Stanley said...

Amber, I know exactly what you mean and how you feel because I do the same thing! How often I think that since I already messed up I mine as well continue on that path the rest of the day and start over again or do better tomorrow. Which, seeing it in print like that shows me just how foolish I can be. We're not promised tomorrow. All we have is today and we need to make the most of it for Jesus. We owe Him at least that much, but He is worthy of so much more...

What you said (and what Renee Ann quoted) was so very powerful! Thank you and it's so going in my quote journal ;) And, thats the prayer of my heart, too, that I will find true relaxation and rest in time spent with Jesus. There truly is no greater peace to be found than in the presence of Almighty God!

And, I just LOVE that scripture! So beautiful! Praise the Lord that His mercies and His blessings are new each day!! Thank you so much for this timely post, my friend, I really needed it :)

Blessings,
Amanda Stanley

PS- just wanted to say that your Sunday By The Sea post came to mind again yesterday and made me smile :) The Lord really uses you and I thank you for allowing Him to.

Amber Holcomb said...

Amanda,

How true: "We're not promised tomorrow. All we have is today and we need to make the most of it for Jesus." Thank you for your understanding--this is something I've really been struggling with it, making the most of every moment.

I love those verses, as well! God is so good, and I have so, so much I have to work on. I'm glad we can encourage one another and pray for each other, though, and I am so thankful for God's mercies. :)

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your thoughts! I think I've said this before, but I'll say it again: as much as I wouldn't wish my problems on anyone else, I'm grateful for your understanding. :)

~Amber

P.S. I'm so glad that you liked this week's "Sunday by the Sea" post! It was just something that really hit home for me and blessed me so much, so I'm thankful that it touched you, as well. :)